EERI committees are an important means for members to advance our mission. Committees provide many opportunities for you to shape EERI’s impact and enhance your leadership skills. Join, and even lead, one of our open committees.
Professional Development Committee
Co-Chairs: Mervyn Kowalsky and Paolo Zimmaro | Staff Lead: Maggie Ortiz-Millan
The EERI Professional Development Committee oversees and deploys a comprehensive, diverse and engaging collection of webinars, called the EERI Webinar Series, that cultivate and enhance members’ knowledge and skills; and coordinates supplemental offerings by EERI programs, chapters, and committees.
To achieve this aim, the PDC:
- Identifies and solicits appropriate webinar topics and speakers;
- Reviews plans and coordinates webinar offerings from other EERI programs, chapters, and committees, to identify webinars of interest to the full EERI membership to include in the EERI Webinar Series, avoid duplication of topics, prevent scheduling conflicts, and encourage complementary supplemental offerings that are focused on a smaller subsets of the membership (i.e. particular regionally appropriate webinars).
- Ensures that EERI offers at least one high quality webinar per month.
- Considers the appropriate niche and offerings of EERI, considering the role and focus of other organizations.
Student Awards Committee
Chair: Troy Morgan | Staff Lead: Silvana Cobos
The EERI Student Awards Committee oversees and recognizes undergraduate and graduate students with awards that encourage the active involvement in earthquake engineering and the earthquake hazards community and allow emerging experts to share their research.
To achieve this aim, the SAC:
- Solicites and reviews applications for the EERI/FEMA NEHRP Graduate Fellowship and selects two recipients each academic year;
- Annually reviews and selects one Graduate Paper Award winner from eligible papers from Earthquake Spectra;
- Annually solicites and reviews submissions for the Undergraduate Paper Award and selects one winner.
Advises upon fundraising strategy and priorities for the LFE Endowment, General Endowment, Subscribing Membership, Conference Sponsorship, unique gift solicitations/opportunities, and new ideas for fundraising activities, considering alignment with other Board and Institute priorities Makes formal recommendations to the Board on fundraising campaigns and priorities. Supports fundraising campaigns and efforts by soliciting donations and identifying leads.
Earthquake Spectra Editorial Board
Invitational (Closed) Committees
- Annual and National Meeting Advisory Committee.
- Advises upon strategy and priorities for EERI Annual Meeting and National Conferences
- Provides feedback to the Local Organizing Committees and EERI staff.
Members are selected based on past involvement in EERI Annual Meeting planning and activities, especially chair of a local organizing committee.
- Audit Committee (Chair: Marshall Lew).
- Oversees annual audit of EERI financial statements.
- Finance Committee (Chair: Lucy Arendt, EERI Secretary/Treasurer).
- Prepares the annual operating budget for the Institute and submit it to the Board of Directors for approval at the fall meeting of the Board. A Budget Subcommittee is often formed to lead this work.
- Monitors the income and expenses of the institute. Chair to submit progress reports to the Board of Directors during regularly scheduled meeting, and recommend modifications to the operating budget of the Institute if necessary.
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the Board about proposed expenditures and projected budgets for all non-operating and nonrecurring items or activities of the Institute (i.e., those items not included in the approved annual operating budget).
- Reviews and recommends to the Board of Directors the investment or disposition of reserve funds.
- Fundraising Committee (Chair: David Friedman).
- Advises upon fundraising strategy and priorities for the LFE Endowment, General Endowment, Subscribing Membership, Conference Sponsorship, unique gift solicitations/opportunities, and new ideas for fundraising activities, considering alignment with other Board and Institute priorities
- Makes formal recommendations to the Board on fundraising campaigns and priorities.
- Supports fundraising campaigns and efforts by soliciting donations and identifying leads.
- Honors Committee (Chair: Tom O’Rourke).
- Annually selects the following awards: EERI Distinguished Lecture Award, The George W. Housner Medal, Alfred E. Alquist Special Recognition Medal, EERI Honorary Membership, and The EERI Younger Member Award (YMA).
- Nominating Committee (Chair: Danielle Mieler).
- Identifies a slate of candidates for the annual election to the Board of Directors.
- Shah Family Innovation Prize Selection (Chair: Charles Menun).
- Solicits and reviews nominations and select individuals to receive the prize. The award will be presented at the EERI Annual Meeting.