EERI is currently accepting applications for the position of Co-Chair of the School Earthquake Safety Initiative (SESI). The SESI Co-Chairs provide oversight and leadership for EERI’s SESI program that promotes safe buildings for school children.
The application deadline is May 17, 2021 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee and finalists will be invited to an informal interview with the selection committee. The committee will select one candidate to serve as Co-Chair of the program alongside current Co-Chair Guillermo Diaz-Fanas. The final selection of a Co-Chair is expected in June 2021, with the term to start no later than July 1, 2021.
The selection committee is particularly interested in applicants who:
- Have demonstrated track record in school safety and advocacy.
- Proven team leadership and project management skills, including the ability to lead a team by coaching and mentoring team members to achieve individual inputs, and be responsible for the overall quality of deliverables.
- Familiarity with various international principles and standards for school vulnerability assessment, seismic retrofitting, and upgrade.
- Proven ability to link SESI with other EERI committees, programs, and efforts.
- Understand and value the multidisciplinary nature of SESI.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Recent experience in the preparation of engagement strategies related to disaster risk management, planning and design of capacity development activities, implementation of technical workshops and trainings, and/or design and implementation of public awareness-raising activities, preferably focused on schools.
- Ability to develop, analyze, and articulate project issues clearly, as well as diagnose problems and propose reliable solutions.
- Ability to behave in a professional, member-focused, and service-oriented manner.
- Can co-lead the committee in strategic discussions to determine future directions for the program.
- Have experience collaborating with the broad spectrum of SESI partners including academics, practitioners, and federal agencies.
- Have experience collaborating with international EERI members and other international partner organizations.
The position of SESI Co-Chair is a volunteer position. Applicants must be EERI members in good standing. Chairs must have the availability to be in regular communication with EERI staff, lead regular committee meetings, attend EERI annual meetings, and engage actively in determining strategies to position SESI at the forefront of earthquake school safety in the US and around the world.
More information about the position of SESI Co-Chair and SESI can be found in the SESI Mission, Scope, and Organizational Structure document.
To be considered, please submit a written statement and a cv/resume using this form. The written statement should include the following items:
- Why you are interested in serving as SESI Co-Chair
- Your experience working in school safety and advocacy
- Other experiences that you believe align with the desired qualities for SESI Co-Chair as described above
- What you believe are the strengths, challenges, and opportunities for the SESI program in the next 5 years
- How would you approach determining strategic directions for the SESI program
- What added value would you bring to SESI to ensure that its efforts have a global impact?
- Anything else you would like the selection committee to consider when reviewing your application
Applications will be reviewed by an Ad Hoc Selection Committee:
- Judith Mitrani-Reiser, EERI Board Liaison to SESI
- Lucy Arendt, Outgoing SESI Co-Chair
- Guillermo Diaz-Fanas, Current SESI Co-Chair
- Heidi Tremayne, EERI Executive Director
- Silvana Cobos, EERI SESI Program Coordinator